The Release Train Engineer is responsible for optimizing the flow of epics/features and the value delivered by a smaller Agile Release Train (ART), and is focused on serving the needs of the train to drive performance and growth.
This role will be coordinating and facilitating the ART ceremonies, managing dependencies across teams in the ART, and providing visibility into the health of epic/feature delivery and the overall program increment.
This role ensures impediments to epic/feature delivery are resolved quickly and protects the teams from outside disruptions to delivery. They manage financials for the ART and assist with resource planning. In addition, they promote and coach the Agile mindset and principles, empowering individual teams to become self-managing and fulfill their cross-functional potential.
- Guide and coach the teams on the Agile Release Train on Scrum practices, and develop their understanding of Agile principles
- Define norms/agreements for the ART and enforce the agreements
- Coordinate and facilitate ART ceremonies (for example, Backlog Refinement, Program Increment (PI) Planning, ART Sync or PO Sync, Scrum of Scrums), System Demos, and Retrospective
- In collaboration with the Product Manager, ensure the program has a healthy product/program backlog
- Facilitate dependency management/risk management/impediment removal for the ART. Promote/facilitate communication and collaboration within the ART to support value delivery and PI commitments
- Provide status updates and reporting pertaining to ART plans/delivery/timelines/impediments to stakeholders and leadership
- Ensure Enterprise Change Management and other policy requirements for technology solutions are met for the epics/features delivered by the ART
- Measure ART delivery, maturity, and performance and review the metrics with the ART to identify improvement opportunities
- Capture data to help determine/track product funding and resource acquisition needs.
- Mentor more junior Scrum Masters
Required Job Skills:
- 8-10 years progressive work related experience with demonstrated proficiency in Agile, Scrum teams.
- 3-5 years leading teams and/or significant complex projects
- Experience with dependency management/risk management/impediment removal
Desired Job Skills:
- Using JIRA/Rally
- Thought leadership
- Risk management
- SAFe aware Certification